Cleavers provide a chopping tool that makes fast work of tough jobs, ranging from creating shredded pulled pork to chopping through a full chicken. But very few people use cleavers. We discussed this around the shop and decided the reason for this is fear. Some of it is Hollywood–cleavers get a bad rep. Some of it is practical. When you are hacking away at something, you fear the cleaver could slip out of your hand. As you work with raw meat or veggies your hands to get slippery and you do risk losing control. You could accidentally kill or maim a co-worker, worse still a family member. Recognizing this, Bliss Knife Works craftsmen designed a safer cleaver, the MT-235.
- Comfortable in the hand. The MT-235 is compact but packs a chop. It’s made of 4mm thick Damascus steel in the Raindrop pattern, the strongest of the Damascus steels. This full tang chopping machine comes with a tough G-10 handle made of a continuous filament woven fiberglass sheet bonded with epoxy resin. The G-10 does not absorb water, making it a great knife for any condition. The MT-235 is virtually indestructible.
- Fixed blade with full tang design. Every good kitchen knife should feature a full-tang design. This ensures ultimate strength and performance. It also provides the knife with a lifelong guarantee.
- Manageable, functional blades. The overall design of the cleaver is a convex arch shape. In a sense, it’s always cutting away from you. Your hand locks in position on the handle. The placement of the index finger is inset in the handle and in the blade. Your hand won’t slip back as you swing or slip down as you chop. Your pinky finger fits comfortably into a ring hole, eliminating any chance of this classy tool getting away from you. And your middle and ring finger just rest in-between those two control points. If you have a desire to chop stuff up, this cleaver is for you. We recommend getting two. With your material sitting on a cutting board can be two-fisted chopping machine.
- High carbon steel. As we have done for years, we make this knife from fine Damascus steel layered to blend of the steels and maximize flexibility and durability. Our blend holds an edge longer than other brands. One reminder, with high carbon steel you must keep this blade dry while storing otherwise it will rust. You must remember to keep a rag and oil in your kit for maintain the blade. If there is to ever be a slight rust issue it is easily fixed with light sanding.
- Leather case. Bliss recently announced that all cutlery knives will feature leather casing. The MT-235 cleaver will include a leather case for security, this ensures the knife can be stored safely for years to come.
These knives are made to order and take approximately 3-5 weeks until it is finished. View full set here.
We at Bliss Knife Works fully stand behind every knife with the guarantee that it will last forever. That is our promise in bringing you the highest quality knives available. (See our warranty and disclaimer here).